Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Cash System

So my husband and I have been following Dave Ramsey plan to get out of debt. One piece of advice we have been working on is using a cash only system. We are starting slowly with this. I have made separate envelopes for different categories. At this point I am becoming overwhelmed with the amount of money flowing out of my house. Every day I feel there is a new category that needs an envelope. Tonight it is milk money for the kids' school. I guess I should start an envelope for that too. Plus the older two boys just started cub scouts. New envelope. What about new paint and curtains for my bedroom that I was hoping to get in the next month or so? New envelope for that too. At the rate I am going I am going to need to create an envelope to purchase envelopes for this cash system!
Anyways, for those who are unfamiliar with this cash only system let me break it down for you. Step one figure out how much you spend a year on different categories. Let's take birthdays as our example. Say you have four people in your family and you budget $100 per person for their birthday(this has to include gifts as well as any party expense involved) The total figure would be $400 a year. The next step is to break it down by month - $400 divided by 12 is $34 a month(rounding up). So each month you would put that amount in your birthday envelope. Sounds good until you get to the stage I am at. New envelopes I am thinking of creating are: school expenses, cub scout expenses, home decorating(not to be confused with my home maintenance envelope), my work expenses, and husband's work expenses. Hopefully I will get the hang of this cash only system!

No comments:

Post a Comment